Business Auto Liability Coverage and Minimizing Risks
If your facility owns one or more vehicles, you need to have policies and guidelines in place to make sure that you choose carefully when determining who is allowed to drive them on your organization’s behalf. You also need to establish how the approved drivers should behave while operating those vehicles. Most importantly, those policies need to match up with the actual practice.
Some things to consider when deciding who is allowed to drive one of your vehicles for business:
• Have you researched this person's driving record?
•Is there anything about this person's background that would make them a risky choice as a permitted driver?
• Do they have a valid driver's license and their own vehicle?
Your policies for vehicle operation should include:
• Standards for a driver’s motor vehicle records, particularly if there is a violation on the job.
• Prohibted activities while driving, such as using cell phones or texting.
• Accident and violation reporting requirements.
• Any required driver training.
• Penalities for violating any of the policies.
Because your organization is liable for any accidents or incidents involving vehicles it owns, you need to make sure you are not being negligent when selecting approved drivers. It’s important to remember that you are running a business, with all the risks that entails. It may seem like no big deal to let an unapproved driver use the vehicle “just this once,” but that can expose you to way more liability and expense than it’s worth.
Five Reasons to Love Your Insurance Program
Here are some insights into the program from Lockton Affinity, LLC that’s designed to cover your facility with a wide range of insurance coverage types.
1. We’ve been doing this for more than a quarter-century. Lockton Affinity has been working with fraternal organizations for more than 25 years, which means we have a deep understanding of the unique needs of your group. We’re not just another insurance broker—we talk with people a lot like you every day. We know the kinds of risks your group faces and we can help you avoid them.
2. Mass buying power saves you money. With thousands of Posts, Lodges, Halls and other facilities participating in the program, we can leverage savings for everyone. Our rates are very competitive for coverage that’s specific to what you need.
3. Our coverage is reliable. Lockton Affinity’s parent company, Lockton, Inc., is the largest privately held insurance broker in the United States. Our policies are all underwritten by companies rated “Excellent” or higher by A.M. Best.
4. We offer personal and knowledgeable service. Our staff is well-trained in your operations, activities and programs. We truly understand what types of coverage will serve you best, and we’re happy to talk to you whenever you have a question or need to make a change.
5. There’s never a wait for claims service. If you have a claim, you can call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Your claim will be handled by a local claims adjuster, so you’ll get personal service from someone close by.