Posts that sell or serve alcohol face many risks. If your Post serves alcohol to a minor or visibly intoxicated patron, the results can be serious. Your Post could face administrative and criminal fines, as well as claims for damages that a person might cause after leaving your establishment. However, by educating your servers, you can make a difference for your Post and patrons.

What is Alcohol Server Training?

There are a number of educational programs offering server training to establishments selling or serving alcohol have been developed in conjunction with liquor control, law enforcement, highway safety and substance abuse organizations. Several nationally recognized programs are available, including Training for Intervention Procedures (TIPS) and Techniques of Alcohol Management (TAM).

These courses will offer a variety of solutions and problem-solving techniques for serving alcohol. They will also offer helpful tips, such as:

  • Discourage your guests from indulging in straight shots.
  • Supply plenty of snacks to help absorb alcohol.
  • Encourage patrons to follow a “one drink per hour” rule to avoid intoxication.
  • Stop serving alcoholic drinks at least one hour before the bar closes or end of a party.
  • Never allow an intoxicated person to leave the premises behind the wheel. Encourage guests to choose a designated driver.

Why Alcohol Server Training is Important

Alcohol server training is a valuable tool for Posts that can help save money, promote safety and build server awareness. If your Post is in the business of selling or serving alcohol, Lockton Affinity’s VFW Post Insurance Program, encourages you to contact the organizations listed above, your local alcohol distributor or state Liquor Control Board to find out what your particular state requirements are and what programs are available to you.

With Post Insurance through Lockton Affinity, you also have access to one free Alcohol Server Training course and additional course at a discounted price. Learn more today.

Coverage may not be available in all states and is subject to actual policy terms and conditions.  Coverage may be provided by an excess/surplus lines insurer which is not licensed by or subject to the supervision of the insurance department of your state of residence. Policy coverage forms and rates may not be subject to regulation by the insurance department of your state of residence. Excess/surplus lines insurers do not generally participate in state guaranty funds and therefore insureds are not protected by such funds in the event of the insurer’s insolvency.